Monday, April 14, 2008

Sweet As

"... the act of preparing food for another (or with another) speaks louder and clearer than most words. It says, with no exceptions, I love you. I want you. I care for you. You are worth the effort." -Martha Hopkins

Do you think you could stomach some toast with Nutella and bananas this morning, I asked today and poured more coffee. Reuben paused, always leery of breakfast. Maybe toast with a nice thin layer of vegemite, he ventured. Gattina strains every muscle in her neck to avoid turning up her nose. He spread the impossible to describe substance on toast and I took a deep breath and spread it on half of my own. Interesting. My cook's mind began sifting through the techniques and ingredients that might make this stuff palatable. I'll let you all know when I come up with something.
It was quite a weekend for food actually. I made a Provencal breakfast for us on Saturday to keep us going through a day at the Borough Market. It was very crowded but we picked up what we needed and some things that were just treats. I don't know yet what I will do with the quail's eggs but I know it will be something to match the bottle of Cuvees des Sommeliers Chateauneuf du Pape we also found in the market! It was a wonderful find and took me back to lovely times. That evening, we went to a club for a going away party with Reuben's friends. We were both nervous since my track record so far on meeting his pals is less than exemplary. We had a great time though and got home tired and happy and ready to dig into leftover Thai food!
We are having a couple friends over for dinner tonight so we needed a few more things. I suggested we go to Whole Foods. Where the heck else can you buy seitan?! Whole Foods is new here and no one seems to have heard of it. I was sure Reuben would enjoy shopping there though so we called up one of his mates to join us and braved the trip.
The boys looked at a shoeshop so I preceded them into the market. While lost in tofuland, I received a text from my sweetie. "Oh my goodness. This place is heaven! X" I grinned. We bought many more things we needed and wanted including some lamb for my poor meat-starved lover and a New Zealand pumpkin that I will attempt to roast in proper kiwi fashion.
Weekend mornings are becoming my favourite times. Reuben spoils me rotten with pleasure and I have not yet missed sex with two men at once which surprises me. I noticed yesterday though that I do miss being in the company of two men. It occured to me while wedged in between Reuben and Scotty on a couch in the pub. It made me extra sad that Matte and Cri are not speaking to me now. Well don't we all now how sweet little Gattina is when she's sad? I drank one glass too many of wine and got a little provocative after a lovely shag. An aside- there is an e-mail floating around my friends these days about the merits of boycuts versus thongs and after Reuben's response to my boycuts yesterday, my vote is certainly for them!
I woke up today a little disoriented after dreaming of distant lands and, as some of you know from experience, this can make me turn to the person next to me with one thing on my mind: Who the hell are you?! Reuben smiled at me and I relaxed. He asked if I slept well. Very well. You had a little snore going, he smirked. SNORE?! Scandalous libel! And that brings us back to the coffee and vegemite.
My darlings, I must go love my friends by cooking. Tonight's menu:
"Caviar" (actually a tapenade cruda) Bites and Manhattans
Stellette con Funghi
Sauvignon Blanc
Seitan Bourgignon and French Peasant Bread
Pinot Noir
Lemon Ices
Taleggio e Tomme