Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Nackt in den Holzern

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood." - Tom Robbins

-Gattina Goldilocks takes another drink of pinot noir to wash down yet one more cheese sandwich and wonders about the small structure in front of her. Must be where the bears live, she muses. She is sitting in a patch of sonnenschein on a log bench in front of a firepit. The tall, old-growth forest climbs the hills around her. She is silly but peaceful.-
I made a little video with my camera for Reuben to illustrate a typical day on the trails with his cheerfully addle pated sweetheart. I had just passed a sign telling me that where I thought I was going was where I had come from and now faced 4 trail options to move forward. I decided on the "up the hill route" but halfway up, decided to change to the "up the other hill" route. Since I had already gotten lost a few times in the last hour and a half without seeing any other humans anyway, why not? The day was far too beautiful to worry on such trivialities!
I headed up a hill that may have been called "Kiesgruebliweg" (I started taking photos of wooden signs in a Gretl breadcrumb attempt to show forethought) and my glutes almost cried. I smiled as I reminisced about my morning run:
It pissed down cold rain, soaking me to the skin, as I faced my favourite steep, moss-covered, stone stairs carved into a hill. The narrow trail is bordered by electric fences which only gave me more motivation to maintain footing. Hehe, a challenge. I charged over and over and felt the old heat of my marathon oven burning through the booze and the cigarettes and the sloth... Damn, it's good to be alive!
Back to the woods... About 8 or so turns later, I was truly lost! I thought of the young men I had passed wood-cutting some time before but they had looked at the single girl, tripping down the trail singing along with Black Eyed Peas in a way that kinda freaked her out. Ugh. Every Appalachian story I ever heard flashed through my mind when I saw a trail that said it went toward Wettingen but a few minutes in, found it to be just a muddy track up a hill that did give me a chance to take some good photos but stranded me on top of the hill.
I kept telling myself that descent was the best choice as I cut through the trees. Somehow, I found my way down to the "up the hill" route that I had decided against earlier and actually skipped up "Weymouthenweg" to find myself back in Wettingen! Woohoo! I was completely jazzed by my day outdoors and cooked with fervor! Patrik made sure the wine flowed (yeah, detox day, whatever) and I tried absinthe for the first time ever. Holy hell! I thought my throat had actually caught on fire. Damn. I fell into bed early with a text to from my boy to have sweet dreams of him and, lovelies, I did!