Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mo-Town Mama in Malta

"What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print." - Isadora Duncan

Well, well... our heroine is in a new place again! I am actually staying on an island next to Malta called Gozo. The sky and sea are jewel-hued variations on blue and the buildings are pale beige limestone. David Niven said Malta was a sod of a place but, unless he is referring to the alcohol consumption here, I disagree. I have only been compelled to text Roo once and that was yesterday while swimming in the Blue Lagoon of Camino Island. Stunning. I swim 2-4 times a day and can't get enough! I breathed in about half of the Inland Sea yesterday so I am coughing and a bit icky tumms today but it is well worth it. I had been playing handball in the water with a young Maltese boy (maybe 7 or 8 years old) and he lost his goggles. Opening your eyes repeatedly in salt water is not recommended! Also, keep your mouth closed! Ugh. I slept for 12 hours or so last night while Alex went back to the restaurant where we are most, umm, well-known. The manager has driven us home twice though Alex walked home last night. I was kinda glad to skip last night since the night before, the (married with 2 kids) manager had been playing footsie with me under the table and trying to seduce me in Italiano!! Crazy. I have given it some thought and, while I am missing Malta from my world collection, I think I'll probably pass.
Today, I will swim in Ramla Bay again and hopefully catch up with the chaps from Essex that I met yesterday in the Blue Lagoon. I lured Alex into skinny-dipping with me in Ramla night before last but (typical Scotsman) he wouldn't go under the water. I dove in like the sirena I am! Glorious! It is fun watching my hair go blonde, my skin turn brown, and the soles of my feet black like a street urchin's! I am eating fish again as well! Haha, Gattina is a pesco-vegetariana! I am not looking forward to leaving the place where as Alex says, we've got nothing to do and all day to do it! That said, we've packed every day really. I've seen all the cities, the citadel of Victoria, met a bunch of locals, driven on what we are referring to as 'The Roman road' (Gods that was a mess! At least we have an emergency bottle of wine in the auto!), taken a ferry at 5am while drinking the local brew (Cisk), and wandered markets, marinas, Maltese manors, etc. Yes, my dears, I am feeling the consonantal alliteration vibe today.
As for love and such, Reuben is refusing to speak to me. It's unnecessarily silly but, jeepers, out of my hands. Patrik has proposed to me, tongue in cheek, so I am asked to go back to Switzerland. Poor me- Italia, Switzerland, the UK, the States... how's a girl to decide?!